Kenza Coleman's Blog

Friday, November 25, 2005

Hope and Other Dangerous Pursuits by Laila Lalami


While catching up on reading my magazines - I subscribe to way too many and find it hard to keep up - I stumbled upon an ELLE recommended book reading for Hope and Other Dangerous Pursuits by Moroccan-born Laila Lalami, who maintains a blog at MoorishGirl.com. The book explores the stories behind illegal immigration, a subject all too familiar in my home country Morocco, where this story takes place, and in Southern California, my home for the past 10 years. The book follows four unrelated characters - at different life stages - as they make their 10-mile boat journey across the Strait of Gibraltar to reach Europe where they hope for better opportunities. Excellent reviews of the book are posted on Amazon.com. I will be ordering my copy and look forward to writing my own review.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home